Welcome to www.worthingpubs.com, dedicated to researching the history of our local pubs.

This study is ongoing and we welcome contributions, stories, pictures etc that will expand our knowledge and bring back memories of times past.
Feel free to email us HERE

WELLINGTON INN - MARINE PARADE 1816 to 1965

The Wellington Inn stood on the corner of Marine Parade and Marine Place almost rubbing shoulders with the larger and more elegant Marine Hotel, the two buildings only separated by a mews for stabling. Prior to becoming an Inn it was a seafront residence known as Marine cottage. Left - An early photograph taken by Captain West and kindly donated by Patrick Montgomery (USA) of www.archivefarms.com

Antony Edmonds (in an article for the Worthing Herald in his 'Buildings of Old Worthing' series in February 2014) notes that it was in 1816 that Marine Cottage became an inn. It was named the Wellington Inn in honour of the Duke of Wellington, who had won the Battle of Waterloo the previous year. In 1863 it was renamed the Pier Hotel, following the construction of Worthing pier the previous year.

In 19378 the old Pier Hotel was demolished and replaced by a new art deco structure.  According to John Melser (quoted in the Herald in March 2014) whose grandfather, and then his parents, ran the hotel for many years a temporary building was erected in the forecourt to maintain the continuity of the licence while the new hotel was being constructed. Sadly in 1965 both the Pier Hotel and its neighbour the Marine Hotel were demolished.

   
This excellent picture from of Nicky Chapman shows the residents enjoying the sea air on the balcony above the ornate ironwork entrance. Date unknown.
   

The more recognisable Pier Hotel. Note the separate Hotel Bar and Smoking room, a place for gentlemen to gather away from the ladies.



Part of  beer jug branded to the hotel and no doubt brewed by one of our local breweries.
   

Known Landlords

1814 - Marine Cottage
1816 - Wellington Inn
1832 - John Richardson
1839 - Jas Jefferson
1851 - 1856 Sidney Beck
*
1858 - Frances Back (wife of Sidney Beck)
1863 - Pier Hotel
1914 - Howell & Sons
1938 - re-fronted
1965 - Closed and demolished


 

   

*Sidney Beck and his wife Frances named one of their sons Duke, after the Duke of Wellington, the namesake of the inn. Another son named Walter Beck ran the Half Brick from around 1878 until his death in 1882.
Sidney Beck died in 1856 and Frances took over until 1861. Frances's parents, William and Hannah Marley were a fishing family who lived in Marine Parade whilst Sidney hailed from London, originally a law clerk.

 

Contributed by Sophie Michell, family researcher