SWAN - 79 HIGH STREET 1849

The Swan - recently renamed the New Amsterdam

   
Reopened on the 29th of March 2019 - we're not sure what the thinking was behind the renaming as we can't find a logical connection to New Amsterdam (the original name for  New York).

The interior has been given a makeover with original brickwork now exposed in places. The wooden tables, chairs and bar certainly give it an air of warmth. Internally the structure remains the same as before.

A big bonus is the small open park space on its southern side which has now become part of the pub, fenced and fitted with table benches.

 
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
 
 

The site of the Swan can be tracked back to the late 17th century -  a dwelling place, barn and 25 acres of land owned by Ferdinando Lindup, a yeoman of the area - a Yeoman being someone who works his own land. It eventually ended up in the hands of Richard Lindup, who built a more substantial property in around 1790. In 1842, the building became a lodging house and by 1849 it had become an ‘Inn’.

1890: Worthing’s inspector of nuisances was called to investigate overcrowding at a common lodging house (The Swan Inn) in the High Street. He was shocked to find no segregation of the sexes and was met by foul and abusive language by the occupiers who set their dog on to him.
(Worthing Sentinel)
 

In 1938, it was enlarged, re-fronted and modernised. In 1891, James Stone is listed as publican and coal merchant. The picture below seems to imply it may have been called the White Swan at one time.

 
   

Marjory Batchelor and her husband Bert, took over the Swan on November 1960. Marjory wrote a book entitled 'My Life Behind Bars', detailing a fascinating look back at times long forgotten in the trade. Due to Bert's ill health, they had to give up the Swan just four years later.

Marjory continued to work mornings at the nearby Railway Hotel (the Lennox) and later at a hotel opposite the station itself (the Central Hotel), which featured a drag night each Friday!

 

   
   

*OLD, OR ENTIRE; AND NEW, OR MILD BEER.

"It is necessary to state, that every publican has two sorts of beer sent to him from the brewer; the one is called mild, which is beer sent out fresh as it is brewed; the other is called old; that is, such as is brewed on purpose for keeping, and which has been kept in store a twelve-month or eighteen months. 

The origin of the beer called entire, is thus related by the editor of the Picture of London: “Before the year 1730, the malt liquors in general use in London were ale, beer, and two-penny; and it was customary to call for a pint, or tankard, of half-and-half, i. e. half of ale
and half of beer, half of ale and half of two-penny. 

In course of time it also became the practice to call for a pint or tankard of three-threads, meaning a third of ale, beer, and two-penny; and thus the publican had the trouble to go to three casks, and turn three cocks, for a pint of liquor.  To avoid this inconvenience and waste, a brewer of the name of Harwood conceived the idea of making a liquor, which should partake of the same united flavours of ale, beer, and two-penny; he did so, and succeeded, calling it entire, or entire butt, meaning that it was drawn entirely from one cask or butt; and as it was a very hearty and nourishing liquor, and supposed to be very suitable for porters and other working people, it obtained the name of porter.” 

 

Fredrick Accum, A Treatise on Adulterations of Food... (1820 edition)

   
Known landlord/manager From: The Worthing Journal

1841 - George Goatcher. Lodging house keeper
1851 - 1861 Licensed lodging house keeper (White Swan)
1897 - Frank Goulding
1901 - William Dean (beer & lodging house)
1931 - Mrs Dean
1950 - 1960 Roy & Gwen Cook
1960 - 1964 Herbert and Marjory Thursby
1964 - Marjory Batchelor (Widow Thursby)

 

1976: Ronnie Barker, best known as wily prison inmate Fletcher in Porridge, visited the Swan pub, High Street, to open a giant bottle of coins collected for charity