Welcome to www.worthingpubs.com, dedicated to researching the history of our local pubs.

This study is ongoing and we welcome contributions, stories, pictures etc that will expand our knowledge and bring back memories of times past.
Feel free to email us HERE

SEA HOUSE - MARINE PARADE 1748
THE SEA HOUSE RETURNS - NEW PUB - OLD PLACE

Its been many years since the original Royal Sea House Hotel stood where the present arcade now stands but in 2015 its made a return, or rather a bar with the same name. Be warned, its on the roof.

 

The picture on the left isn't something you can easily see from the roof top but we took advantage of our position to get this rare view above the arcade.

   
   
BACK IN HISTORY . . .
If we had to name the first pub in Worthing, then I think the title would go to the Sea House. Originally thought to have been built in 1748 as one of two cottages, it joined several fisherman's huts that existed on Worthing's Common, as the foreshore was then known. The common stretched much further out than today's current shoreline and was sometimes known as salt grass.

The epithet of cottage will be a bit misleading, as it would have been a simple wooden structure with a pitched tar roof - nothing built there was ever seen as permanent.

In 1762, Thomas Wicks, a local victualler, took over the cottage and named it 'Sea House'. It later became the Sea House Inn, supplying refreshment to weary fishermen as they returned with their catches day and night.
A map of 1770 provides some evidence of clustered huts on the then extended seafront.
   

Inevitably the building was finally washed away in December 1772. It was rebuilt much further inland as a more solid structure, as depicted on the left.

Sea House Inn (centre), as viewed from the sea front, The road between the two hanging signs is South Street.

Rebuilt as The Sea House Hotel and later renamed The Royal Sea House Hotel (1849), it caught fire on 21st May 1901.

It remained a derelict shell for many years before being demolished and replaced with the present Arcade.

 
   

The Sea House Inn features in an early watercolour by John Nixon in 1785. (picture held in Worthing Museum)

   
   

1796 - Mr Thomas Hogflesh (died 1804)
1824 - Rebuilt
1838 - Parson's Sea House Hotel
1849 Renamed 'Royal Sea House'
1855 - John Fowler
1856 - John Fowler
1858 - James Banfield - Sea House Tap
1901 - Burnt out
1925 - Replaced with present Arcade