Welcome to www.worthingpubs.com, dedicated to researching the history of our local pubs.

This study is ongoing and we welcome contributions, stories, pictures etc that will expand our knowledge and bring back memories of times past.
Feel free to email us HERE

MARINE - MARINE PARADE 1796

In September 2015 the old Spyglass Inn closed and the Cow Shed opened in its place. It is in essence a bar & grill. Although it doesn't do real ales on tap, we've spotted some pretty decent bottles beers, and its not the usual run of the mill stuff either. The man behind the idea is Leee Christian. Note, dog friendly.

SEPTEMBER 2015 - THE COW SHED
Please note that the Cow Shed is an independent venture and is not connected with Cow Sheds Restaurants or other business with the same name.
LOOK BACK IN HISTORY . . .
   

Built as The New Inn.  The date unknown but is possibly 1796 - landlord,  Mr Bacon.

Demolished and  rebuilt as
The Marine, it later became Steers Steak House and then The Sofa Bar. Update 2011, now Gi Gi's.

November 2011: Refitting taking place, new external colour scheme. Launch Friday 16th December 2011 under the new ownership of Kevin Jenkins as the Spyglass Inn. More below.

UPDATE: September 2015 New Ownership
 

   
   
   
   
   
We are grateful to Ray Garrett for the six pictures above taken in 1978.
   

Does anyone remember the group of pub goers known as The Muppets who frequented the Marine in the late 70s disco's held there?

Update 11th December 2015. We have a name, Martin Ives who sadly is no longer with us.

Jan Flowers informs us that there were very popular 'Disco weekends' held at the Marine hosted by local DJ's Dave Everitt and John Day.

GI GI'S AUGUST 2011
August 2011 and a new name.
   
The Marine as depicted on Dave Hunts' roundabout in Worthing town centre.
   
Recently discovered by collector Chris Austin, a stoneware Porter bottle impressed with 'Hillman - Worthing'. One of the previous landlords/owners of the Marine in the 1800s.
   

SPYGLASS - NOVEMBER 2011

   

November 2011 saw the unannounced closure of the Gi Gi's bar and restaurant but it wasn't long before new activity started. Kevin Jenkins of Littlehampton, owner of the Anchor Springs Brewery has taken on the premises  and set about a total internal rebuild, it is to remain a bar but will have a Cornish theme, including pasties we are told. Other good news is it will have at least 5 real ales on tap.

 
   
   
   
   
   
THE DEMISE OF THE MARINE 1981
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
Special thanks again to Ray Garrett for the use of these unique pictures showing the sad demise of the Marine pub.
   

Known landlords

1826 rebuilt by Oliver Hillman as the Marine hotel
1858 - Mrs A Moore - Marine Tap
1858 - Mrs Brown - Marine Tap
1873 to 1884 - William Skindle
1978 - 1980 - Chris Garrett
2009 - Gary Cox (Gi Gi's)
2011 - Kevin Jenkins (The Spyglass)
2015 - Leee Christian (The Cow Shed)