Welcome to www.worthingpubs.com, dedicated to researching the history of our local pubs.
study is ongoing and we welcome contributions, stories, pictures etc
that will expand our knowledge and bring back memories of times past.
|SMUGGLERS RETURN - HAM ROAD - 1927|
Built in 1927 and named the
Ham Hotel, to most of us it will remain so. A name change can
be difficult. New owners often do this to make a fresh start and
distance themselves from the previous landlords, whilst others just feel a
need to change an image. This will often go hand in hand with a refit.
The Ham was renamed the
Smugglers Return in 2009. The traditional swing sign outside depicts
a preventative officer, pistol on his lap, perhaps enjoying a drink
as an unwary smuggler walks in the door with a barrel on his
Almost out of sight and barely
noticeable this stained glass sky-light holds the real heritage of
the Smugglers pub.
The two 'H's of course stand for Ham Hotel.
|Henry Charles Woodford, landlord 1961 and ex-mayor of Worthing. Our thanks to his grandson Jason for this picture.|
1970 - 74 (Approx) Bill &
Landlord & Landlady extra knowledge for the curious.
worked at Ye Old House at Home as well as the Britannia (Lancing)
and ran the Social Club bar in the Post Office in Chapel Road.
Ron and Margaret moved to The Romans in Southwick in 1979. After Ron's death Margaret carried on until moving to the Alexandra (Worthing) which she ran until her retirement in 1988. Margaret died in 2006. Thanks to Carole (nee Benn) daughter of Ron and Margaret and her daughter Ang.