GOLDEN LION - THE STRAND - DURRINGTON - 1950

   
   
The Golden Lion, situated close to Durrington Station and the Strand Parade, is a popular local pub. Built in the 1950s to satisfy the growing demand as the area developed with housing and business's moving into the area.
   

   
 
 

This is arguably the first picture of the original Golden Lion. We say arguably because there has been some doubt cast as to it first name. It was going to be called 'The Durrington Arms' according to planning permission (which was rejected). A newspaper referred to it as The White Lion after it was constructed. It may have been a typing error. Local residents 'of a certain age' only ever recall it as the Golden lion.
   

An enlarged picture shows that the pub appeared to constructed from two prefabricated buildings (very common after the war), made of reclaimed timber and stone rendering and the gap between the two made up the covered entrance. it opened on the 1st of August 1951. The 'Golden lion' was the coat of arms of Montgomery. 1st Earl of Arundel.

Its position at the time was almost directly opposite Durrington station, ideally suited as we have reached the commuting age and thought nothing of travelling up to London or the surrounding counties daily. For the owner it must have been a dream come true, tired, weary workers returning home and there in front of them, a pub.

   

This photograph shows the plot of land sold by Fox and Sons for the future position of the new pub, whose current placing was, like the building itself, temporary. You can see the back of the prefab structure in the distant right. Presumably the rectangular building at the rear of the huts were the toilets. The sale board does say Golden Lion by the way. Building began in 1962.

   

An article from the Worthing Herald announcing the opening of the 'Golden Lion' on the 25th July 1951
Its nice to see confirmation of the pubs name in print on opening day.

   

2011 visit

   

October 2011 and a possible refit for the Golden Lion? The signage has been removed and it's not open for business.

Closed for around ten days, the Golden Lion has had a bit of a polish up, new paint job outside and we're pleased to say the name is now in gold.

 

The refit certainly does the pub proud. It is essentially an open bar, but there are distinct sections. A pool table and large open area is ideal for the younger more active patrons.

Elsewhere two seating areas are set back from the bar for those that like to relax and enjoy a chat. The eating area is large and spacious and leads on to a small secluded back garden.

   
Known landlord/manager  

1951 - Gustav Von Stietencron
1953 - John and Joan Ford