THE GLOBE - NEWLAND ROAD - 1866 - 2013

The Globe pub as it stands today, converted into flats. its always sad to lose a pub, especially one that serves a defined local area - but on the positive side, they didn't knock it down!

   

Thought to have been built in 1866 as a rather plain fronted building, it was rebuilt in the 1900s in a more pleasing Queen Ann style.

Every ground floor window is in the old style frosted type, displaying lettering such as 'Bottle and Jug' - indicating an Off Licence, Fine Stout, Wines and Spirits etc. We don't know if these are original as some of the designs vary.

According to the 1891 census George Brazier was only 24 licensed victualler.

The pub shut its doors for the last time on the 29th of October 2009.

   
   
 

We don't as yet know the story behind this brass plaque sunk in to the back bar.

   
Known landlord/manager  

1878 - William Clarke
1890 - George Thomas Brazier (to 1902)
1905 - Benjamin Dickinson
1941 - Benjamin Dickinson (now aged 85)
1998 - April Slack
2007 -
Nick Spicer & Clare Rich