Welcome to www.worthingpubs.com, dedicated to researching the history of our local pubs.

This study is ongoing and we welcome contributions, stories, pictures etc that will expand our knowledge and bring back memories of times past.
Feel free to email us HERE

THE EGREMONT - BRIGHTON ROAD - 1835
   
The Egremont is one of the first pubs you'll meet as you drive into town from the East. Unfortunately of late it hasn't been something we could be proud of. This looks like changing very soon. Depicted on the left is how it would have originally appeared.

The picture below, taken in 2013, shows what is now a rather shabby looking building in need of some genuine TLC. We are pleased to say that a new owner, Mr. G Grundy has taken on the responsibility of bringing it up to scratch and reinstating its position in the community.

On a recent visit we were fortunate enough to be given a tour of the work in progress as well as behind the scenes by the owner, who was eager to strip it back to its original fabric, making the necessary repairs before commencing an almost total refurbishment.

At the time of our visit new ceilings were being installed and sound insulated. The outside signage above the windows had been stripped back from the black paint revealing the original painted letters underneath as in the first picture. Take the 2017 GOOGLE TOUR inside.

   
The Egremont was built in 1835 by George Greenfield who also built the adjoining brewery, later known as Tower Brewery and then in 1930 as Chapman's Brewery.

We believe the Egremont name is in honour of the Earl of Egremont. Supporting evidence can be found on the outside of the building in the form of a coat of arms featuring three lion heads and a chevron.

The last few years had seen the pub struggle finally culminating in its reported closure on December the 23rd 2009.  It re-opened in early 2010.

The Tower Brewery was acquired by Kemp Town Brewery in 1924 and closed in 1926. It has since been converted into flats.

   

 NOVEMBER 2014

   
   

Tweaking the colour saturation a little enables us to make out the words 'Kemp Town Brewery'. The rest of the frontage reads: 'Ales and Stouts Egremont Hotel'

   
Often going unnoticed down the side in Warwick Road is the 'Egremont Wine Office' doorway and windows, next to the now blocked up Brewery entrance whose brick arch is still just visible below the left-hand window.
   
Moving inside reveals what is a building site. All the main ceilings are being replaced along with the wiring. The walls have been stripped back to the plaster. We think that the bar position will remain as it was.
   
   
Seen here, some of the original plaster and lath in the ceiling.
Only damaged and rotten material has been removed.
Although the Egremont is not a listed building, the owner
is keen to retain as many original features as possible even if unseen.
   
   
   
   
Left, an external feature often unnoticed.

We were invited upstairs to view the original hotel accommodation, it is surprising large covering two floors. Much work will be needed to bring it up to scratch as there have been many internal alterations in the past. In the interests of privacy no pictures were taken.

Mr. Grundy has been aiming to open the pub up in late December but as
he said in his own words, 'It will be ready when it's ready'.
Oh yes, real ale is on the agenda.
   

 MAY 2015

   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
And the prize for the most unusual light fitting goes to . . .
   

2011

   

Possibly one of the most striking features of the Egremont has to be its doors. Although there is one missing in Warwick Road, each is an ornately carved masterpiece in its own right. The creatures depicted are stylised Dolphins.

The KTB stands for Kemp Town Brewery which was based in Brighton.

   
   

Worthing was becoming a popular holiday resort and combining a pub and a hotel became more commonplace. The doors above show the classic division of people. The Public bar was for everyone while the Lounge or Saloon bar would offer more comfort, perhaps a fire place and soft furnishings, all at a cost of perhaps an extra penny or two a pint. The modern day hotel became the natural progression from the old coaching inn following the demise of the horse and buggy. Many a stable turned into a car park.

It is worthwhile noting that the Hotel entrance did allow you to go upstairs without having to pass through the bar, although a door just inside still offered you the opportunity to change your mind!

The Egremont was a little unusual because it was built with a brewery on the back. It started of as the Tower Brewery and later became the Chapman Brewery. Below is a branded bottle and glazed jug of the period.

   
   
More details of the brewery can be found here: Tower Brewery
   
   
   
   
Down in the cellar of the Egremont and we discover a bricked up archway that presumably connected the pub to the brewery behind.
   
   
   
Left: The black hole- above here and just visible, is the metal hatchway to the street level above it is here that barrels are lowered down to the cellar. Unusually, there is no ramp to roll them down, but of course, when next door was a brewery they were simply moved across the then adjoining cellar, never seeing daylight.

Pub cellars are not glamorous places being purely functional, but carefully cooled and controlled. The appeal to us at Worthingpubs.com, is that no matter how much the pub above changes, the cellar remains the same - a small time capsule of architectural history.

   
An excellent article has appeared in The Quaffer by David Muggleton reviewing the Egremont, worth a read. Click the pic.
   

Recently discovered was this matchbox showing the Egremont in the 1980s, our thanks to Greg.

   

1839 - George Greenfield
1856 - George Greenfield - Brewer & Maltster
1855 - Owen Godley - Egremont Inn
1855 - George Greenfield - Brewery - Warwick Place
1858 - George Greenfield - Egremont Brewery
1891 - Sidney John Hawke - Hotel
1899 - frederick George Stocken - Hotel
1905 - Alfred Isted - Hotel
1914 - HS Spencer
1920 - Harry Chapman
1922 - Ernest Adams took over Tower Brewery.
1980s - Roy and Janet Pollard
2014 - G Grundy