DOWNVIEW - WEST WORTHING  1890 - 2017
July the 16th proved to be a sad day for the Downview pub in West Worthing - closing its doors for the final time. Its future now lies in the hands of developers who we understand to be looking at conversion into flats.
   
24th MAY 2019 - AND SO IT BEGINS

Work is already underway in the conversion of this uniquely styled building into apartments. Its always a sad moment when we lose yet another pub but on the upside, the building will remain. Thanks to Axio Special Works Ltd for permission to use these last pictures  - safety equipment supplied.

   
   
   
   
   

The directly above and on the left is one of two cellars. This one, the larger is U shaped and next door to the barrel shute.

 

   
Upstairs kitchen Function room
   

Left, the only original feature to remain. A Victorian cast iron fireplace with glazed tiles.

Sadly the brewery stripped out the interior of all the fixtures and fittings and so some original items may have been lost to us.

   
2017
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
2011

The Downview Hotel has changed little since it was first built in 1891. As was common at the time, the arrival of West Worthing Station started a building spree which more often than not, starts with a pub and Hotel combination for potential travellers.

The building is feature rich with a traditional Dutch gable frontage popular at the time. Other pubs in the area, such as the Grand Victoria across the road from the main Worthing Station as well as the Southdown pub, echo these designs.

Closer examination reveals various signs of branding by the Kemp Town Brewery (KTB) who apparently refaced the lower floor with brickwork in 1928.

   

   

   

   

Signs of a bricked up doorway evident in the wall. The older picture on the right confirms it.

   

As we can see in the early map made just after the station was built, there was little south of the railway line. The parade of shops known as Tarring Broadway was nothing more than a line of trees hiding the railway. What is clear are the new roads being built with the expectation of houses to follow.  Many business were moving out of the over crowded cities and down to the south coast, and a rapid transport system allowed the workers to live a commutable distance away. The Club House on the map was West Worthing Tennis Club.

A recent find by avid bottle and jug collector Chris Austin. Standing approximately six inches high and marked with the legend John Sinclair - Down View Hotel - West Worthing. Chris dates this item between 1890 to 1910 and is unusual being a screw top.

 

Another recent find. The Downview with its original face. Notice how the frontage protrudes out and the ornate decorative moulding above the windows.

   
Known landlord/manager  

1891 - John (Oswald?) Sinclair
1907 -
1914 - DR Wade
1931 - WJ Howell
2011 - Margaret Mosedale