Welcome to www.worthingpubs.com, dedicated to researching the history of our local pubs.

This study is ongoing and we welcome contributions, stories, pictures etc that will expand our knowledge and bring back memories of times past.
Feel free to email us HERE

COACH & HORSES - ARUNDEL ROAD (A27)
   
   

The pub is situated just outside Worthing on the busy A27 but was an important coaching stop between Worthing and Arundel.

Built in 1741 as the Rose and Crown, changing to The Coach and Horses in 1763. A coach house was added in 1785 as it became a staging post.

Thomas Green from Angmering was an early landlord who later moved on to Hampshire.

It would appear that Terry Spinx ran the Coach & Horse sometime in the 1980's. Terry was Flyweight Gold-Medallist in the 1956 Olympics.