Welcome to www.worthingpubs.com, dedicated to researching the history of our local pubs.

This study is ongoing and we welcome contributions, stories, pictures etc that will expand our knowledge and bring back memories of times past.
Feel free to email us HERE

CANNON INN - CHATSWORTH ROAD - 1866 to 1934

Built around 1866 as a retail beer shop run by J. Feest, it was soon to become a brewery. In 1886 to great pomp and ceremony which included a dancing bear and a brass band from Littlehampton, it opened as the Cannon Brewery Museum and Assembly Rooms.


This map of 1890 shows its position in Cook's Row which was to later become Chatsworth Road.

   

The Cannon Inn was rebuilt in 1894 when the road was straightened bringing the building inline with the pavement. In 1934 it was listed in the local directories as a dining room before finally closing in 1934. The building was later purchased by the Worthing Gazette (now the Worthing Herald) It was demolished in 1974. The Worthing Herald Office now stands on the site. It was named Cannon House in acknowledgement to its past history.

The 1965 map above shows its position within Chatsworth Road.

   

Not any old chimney pot. This terracotta delight was rescued from the demolition of the Cannon Inn, now preserved safely in a local back garden.

   

Known Landlords

 

1866 - J Feest Beer retailer
1931 - GC Sidwell