Welcome to www.worthingpubs.com, dedicated to researching the history of our local pubs.

This study is ongoing and we welcome contributions, stories, pictures etc that will expand our knowledge and bring back memories of times past.
Feel free to email us HERE

BRUNSWICK - Thorn Road
 
The Brunswick of old is now The Bay after a major refit in 2012.

Sporting a refreshed exterior, the inside reflect the changing face of our pubs. Greater emphasis is now placed on family dining, but a more traditional feel has been kept by dividing the ground floor in to two separate but open sections. Good use has been made of natural sunlight befitting such a large building.

Speaking to the new chef, it is hoped local produce and locally caught fish will adorn the menu in the coming months.

   
   
   

Originally the King & Queen and built around 1839 on the outskirts of Worthing in an area known as Heene. Situated on common land known as rough lands, this later became corrupted to Rowlands - a nearby road bears that name today.

It was remodeled and renamed the Brunswick Hotel in 1874.
A beer shop at 8 Brunswick Road took on the King & Queen name until its closure in 1900.

Re-branded the Aintree, Pub & kitchen in 2010.
2012 Now
The Bay, Refurbished and new Landlady.

 
   
The King and Queen beer shop.

See 'King and Queen' on the main page to find out more.

   

THE BAY 2012

   
   
   
   
So easy to forget that the Bay is also a hotel. Each room freshly decorated with TV and on-suite.
   

 THE AINTREE 2011

   
The Aintree 2010 with its modern refit, is clearly designed to capture all taste. The quieter carpeted bar with fireplace and soft seats is in contrast to the lighter bar next door for socialising.

 

 

 

Pleased to see that they have retained some proper pub elements, notice three dart boards.

 

   
   

 

Landlords:

1892: JHL Hine
1914: Herbert Mead
1927: ST Wayment
2012: Anna Pacy