Welcome to www.worthingpubs.com, dedicated to researching the history of our local pubs.

This study is ongoing and we welcome contributions, stories, pictures etc that will expand our knowledge and bring back memories of times past.
Feel free to email us HERE

BROADWATER - BROADWATER STREET WEST
 
   

The first mention of a pub in Broadwater dates to around 1698 on or around the site of the present building. The name Maltster's Arm's, is known to date from 1796.

The name was changed to the Millwrights Arm's  in 1828 for a short period reflecting the trade of the owner at the time, but this proved unpopular and reverted back to the Maltster's Arm's.

The current building dates from around 1934 when there was extensive road widening in the area. Renamed The Broadwater in 1989.

   

The Maltsters Arms above donated by Pat Tullett shows the pub in the 1930's period. Outside stands the landlord, Albert Edward Tullett with his son - Pat's father.

Another from Pat's collection of family photos - the charabang outing for the pub regulars. Pats grandfather, grandmother and father stand on the top deck. Can you identify anyone in this picture?

   

Walter Wardroper (pictured left), was landlord of the Maltsters from 1892 to 1896. He and his brother Henry, were famous theatre entertainers, actors and mimics of the Victorian era. Walter bought the pub on his retirement. He died in 1908 aged 57 and is buried in Broadwater Cemetery. Pop in and say hello.

   

The village of Broadwater gets its name from a problem that besieged the site for many years . . . flooding.

The sea had unhindered access to the low lands via what we now know as Brooklands (used to be Brookfields),
fed also from Teville stream.

The stream was eventually channelled underground and a road built along the coast joining Worthing to Lancing. This was the main reason Broadwater developed much faster than Worthing, as coaches saw Worthing as a dead end causing travellers to double back to get to Lewes or Arundel. The current A27 follows much of the old coaching route.

 

   

Nick Hallard is the artist behind many of Worthing's hand painted pub signs. The Broadwater's sign depicts the ducking stool that once existed on the nearby green.

 

Copyright Nick Hallard of Eyebright Traditional Inn Signs www.eyebrightmurals.co.uk

 

   

The early pictures bear no resemblance to the current pub we see today. This led me to experiment with overlaying a current aerial photograph with a scaled up from the 1890s.

As you can see below, the modern pub still follows the line of the original. Both share access to the rear up the same path - now the pub car park, but once accommodating stabling and storage for buggy (Landau) hire.

 

   
   
   
   
   
   

Known Landlords
1727 - 1758 William Humphreys
1762 - 1771 Peter Penfold
1771 - 1780 Phillip Moor
1781 - Samuel Peacock
1782 - 1784 James Austin
1785 - Henry Dowling
1786 - 1787 William Baker
1788 - Mrs Craske
1789 - 1790 John Craske
1791 - 1823 John Lamport
1824 - 1826 James Shepherd
1827 - 1831 Samuel Stubbs (Millwright's Arms's)

1883 - 1833 George Hinton
1834 - 1835 Samuel Stubbs
1836 - George Hinton
1838 - 1843 David Meaden
1846 - 1853 Edward Goodyer
1861 - 1862 Henry Norton
1864 - 1871 George Norton
1872 - 1889 William Pay
1889 - William Prince
???? - Fowler
1893 - 1896 Walter Hillyard Wardroper
1896 - 1900 - Benjamin Reed
1904 - Joseph Purser (father of Harriet below)
1911 - Jesse & Harriet Duke