Rock Brewery

61 St. James Street, Brighton

       

Site of the Rock Brewery today.

The Rock Brewery, 61 St James's Street, Brighton, was erected in 1809, and had malthouses in Hereford Street and Warwick Street, Brighton, and Conway Street, Hove. It bought the College Brewery, Montague Place, Brighton, in 1900; the Black Lion Brewery, Brighton, after it closed in 1901; the West Street Brewery, Horsham, in 1912; and Steyning Breweries Ltd in 1917. The Rock Brewery leased the premises of the Tipper Ale Brewery, Newhaven from around 1911, and purchased them in April 1922.

Portsmouth and Brighton United Breweries acquired a controlling interest in the Rock Brewery in 1927. Portsmouth and Brighton United Breweries merged with Brickwoods Ltd of Portsmouth in November 1953, both of which were acquired by Whitbread & Co in 1971. By 1953 Rock Brewery had ceased brewing in Brighton for some years, and was only a property-owning company. It was wound up in December 1960. The brewery was demolished in 1978, and the site is now occupied by Lavender House and St Mary's Church House

  

Segment of a 1906 map of Brighton when the Rock Brewery was still producing. The precise location is highlighted  - corner of St James Street and Mount Street.

   

There is not much physical evidence to suggest that the Lavender House development stands on the site of the Rock Brewery. Interestingly though the block immediately adjacent is called Malthouse Court.

The bus stop on the corner of St. James Street and Lavender Road  is also listed as Kemp Town, Rock Gardens. 

   

Left - an etched window in the Cobden Arms, Worthing, clearly showing that the Rock Brewery once supplied its ales.