Built in 1820, the house was owned by the Lyons family before passing on to Sir Frederick Stern in 1909 who created the famous gardens behind it.
In 1980 after being in council hands for some years it was bought by
the Chapman Group and is best remembered for as the setting for
Sterns Nightclub in 1991. Different styles of music was played
separate rooms which included an underground bunker set in a hill in
front of the house. After changing to the Mansion House club it
finally closed in 1998.