Almost a pub
   

The Wistons Hotel 1948: Worthing magistrates granted an alcohol licence to a new hotel, to be called The Wistons, at the junction of south farm road and wiston avenue. The pub was never built.
Worthing Journal: Issue March 2014

 

September 19th 1900: An application to build a public house at the corner of Elm Grove and Mill road, was rejected by the Worthing Bench of Magistrates.  The Rector opposed the plan because he thinks that to the villa residents along Mill road it would be a cause of frequent annoyance, that to some of the wage-earning class it would be a positive curse, to others, an additional temptation, and to those who ought most be considered, the striving respectable poor, it would be a nuisance in providing facilities for their intemperate neighbours to get drink.

To have a public house on the particular site chosen  would be peculiarly objectionable as it would be a stopping place for the Sunday carriage trafic.